Vagina Monologues Comes to Xela

By Marissa Hall

[Note that this article was originally published for a performance in March, 2009.]

Sure, you’ve heard about multiple female orgasms. But have you ever seen someone have eighteen in a row—in Spanish? If I’ve piqued your interest, you won’t want to miss the climax of The Vagina Monologues, or any of the other acts presented in Eve Ensler’s award winning play.

Xela’s second-annual performance of Los Monólogos de la Vagina will take place on Saturday, March 7th at 7pm at el Centro Popular de Cultural Luis Aragón y Cardoza, right next to PLQ Spanish school. Guatemalan women will perform all but one of the monologues this year. 

NYC native and former PLQ student Shira Moss has returned to Xela to organize and direct the show for the second year in a row. With her theatrical assistance and direction, the 26 performers have been rehearsing the stories of women telling their experiences as women, combining elements of humor, sadness, strength and power. 

Regarding her experience with this year’s show, Shira said, “It has been an incredible honor to work with such brave women on this show in Guatemala. I feel so grateful for the privilege to have met such an incredible group of people.” 

This year’s performance includes a special Guatemalan monologue entitled Mi Cuerpo Era Una Revolución. Other acts touch on topics such as sex, love, rape, masturbation, menstruation, birth, orgasm and the variety of names for the vagina. Foreigners are bound to learn some new and exciting Spanish vocabulary. 

The Vagina Monologues are the central piece of the V-Day Initiative, a global movement to eliminate violence against women and girls. In 2008, over 4,000 V-Day events took place in 120 countries, educating millions of people about the reality of violence against women and girls both locally and globally. Each event sends 10% of its proceeds back to the V-Day Initiative and selects a local charity to receive the remaining 90%. 

This year’s performance will benefit Asociación Nuevos Horizontes, a Guatemalan-run non-profit organization working to establish the individual, social and economic independence of women, and to raise awareness of gender inequality and violence in Guatemala. The organization primarily provides services to victims of domestic violence from all over the country. 

Quick Facts
Who: An inspirational collection of local women performers
What: Los Monólogos de la Vagina
When: Saturday, March 7th, 7pm
Where: Centro Popular de Cultural (5ta Calle C2-32 Zona 1)
Why: To support Guatemalan victims of domestic violence
How Much: Donation Q5-20

You may also like...